Have you ever noticed how we all desire relationships at some level? God has designed you to live in community with Him and with others. One of the most important decisions a disciple can make is to follow Jesus in a community instead of alone. Relationships are hard. However, God uses our relationships to teach us about love & unity and to grow us in likeness to Christ. True maturity in Christ only happens as we learn to live together in loving community.
God exists in community. The Scriptures reveal a Triune God, three persons eternally existing in perfect community, yet one God. It follows then that our Heavenly Father would also want us to live in relationship. Being alone is not good. God didn’t like it when Adam was alone in the garden. He also says He will never leave us alone. God’s dream for us is that we would never be on our own and that we would enjoy a level of community with others that resembles the oneness Jesus enjoys with the Father.
Scriptures to Read & Study
- Genesis 2:18
- John 17:13-24
- John 21:1-17
- Acts 2:42-47
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-7
- Ephesians 4:11-16
- 1 Peter 4:8-10
Thought and Discussion Questions
- What has been the best relationship you’ve ever had? The worst? Why were they good or bad?
- What has been your experience with relationships in the church?
- Who is your first line of support outside of your immediate family?
- Do you have a tendency to protect yourself in relationships or to overly invest in them? Why?
- Do you find yourself moving toward or away from others right now? Why?
- What do you think should be the difference between relationships outside the church versus those inside the church?
Have you considered joining our community at Burleson Bible Church? We have several easy ways for you to get connected:
- Adult Bible Fellowship – We offer classes at 9am on Sundays. These are easy next steps towards meeting people and forming community.
- Small Groups – Throughout the week, people at BBC are meeting in homes and at the church in smaller groups for the purpose of growing deeper in the faith and in relationships. We hope you find a smaller group of people who can act as the tangible presence of God in your life.
- Commitment To The Community – This is a two-week Sunday class where we will explore the foundation of faith that drives our church and connect into community along the way. Classes are offered once a quarter.