Stories are powerful. As a believer and disciple of Jesus, you have been given an incredible gift. That gift is your story, the narrative of how God has rescued you and is currently working to change you. Your story can speak to others in powerful ways. Telling it can also work to solidify the ongoing work of God in your own life. Every disciple must learn how to craft and share his or her personal story of how God has worked and is working.
The most important part of your story is the Gospel message. Learning how to clearly represent and share the Gospel in various ways is critical to being a disciple and making disciples. Being able to both share your story and call others to find life in Jesus through the simple Gospel message is a exercise every disciple should explore and employ regularly.
Scriptures to Read & Study
- Psalm 71:15-16
- Acts 4:33
- 1 Corinthians 2:1-5
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
- 1 Peter 3:15
- 1 John 1:2-3
- 1 John 5:10-11
- Paul tells his story (an example for us): Acts 22:3-16
Discussion & Thought Questions
- What was your life like before Christ Jesus saved you? What were the most drastic changes in your life after you trusted Jesus?
- What were the questions, events, or relationships that pushed you toward Jesus?
- How did you first hear the Gospel and come to understand & accept God’s grace?
- Who were key people or groups who influenced you to trust Jesus? How did they help you move toward Jesus?
- Who are you now that you are saved? How had your identity changed?
The answers to the above questions will form the foundation of your personal salvation story.
- What is the Gospel message?
- How would you share the simple Gospel message with someone in 30 seconds?
- How would you invite someone to trust in Jesus for salvation?